- Check availability of your proposed business name using the Secretary of State's database online at: www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/csearch.asp. This process checks to make sure no other company in Missouri is using your proposed name.
- Select a legal structure for your company. Each has unique registration requirements:
Sole Proprietorship and Partnerships - file "Fictitious Name Registration"
Corporations and LLC - file articles of incorporation or articles or organization (LLC)
S-corporation status - requires that you form your Missouri Corporation or LLC and also file IRS Form 2553
- Register a company name with Secretary of State at 573-751-4153 or www.sos.mo.gov.
During the SBIR/STTR application process you only need to register your business name and file legal structure with Sec. of State (LLC form online - filing fee is $105.00) This process reserves your business name. You can use your home address to register.
You will need to have a business address, the place where you plan to do the work, before award is received.
Business Requirements after notice of an SBIR/STRR funding
- Obtain local business license at city or county government
- Get a sales tax number if you will be selling retail
- Federal Employer I. D. number (EIN) required when you have business partners, hire Employees, form a corporations or an LLC taxed as a corporation. Your bank may require an EIN to open a business account. To get form SS-4 call 800-829-4933 or www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf